Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Short Exercise: Top 25 Records, Ever?

In my very very first entry, I already determined the top five records of all time based on whatever barometers I came up with...and this is what I did come up with:


1.      Highway 61 Revisited
2.      Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
3.      Music From Big Pink
4.      London Calling
            5.      Pet Sounds

Do I still agree with these top five?  I think so.  No record has come out within the last 20 years that could get close.  But as an intellectual exercise for myself (and for you to see, I suppose), I present to you what I would consider to be the top twenty records of all time:

            1. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
            2. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
            3. The Band - Music From Big Pink
            4.  The Clash - London Calling
            5. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
            6. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
            7. The Beatles - The Beatles
            8. John Coltrane -  A Love Supreme
            9. The Beatles - Revolver
            10. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
            11. The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
            12. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
            13. The Beatles - Abbey Road
            14. The Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet
            15. Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
            16. Patti Smith - Horses
            17. Television - Marquee Moon
            18. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
            19. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
            20. Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
            21. David Bowie - Low
            22. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
            23. Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
            24. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
            25. Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks


Looking over this list, there could be some changes, i.e. dropping Zeppelin off the list, but overall it provides a solid start, as I never have tried to completely rank 1-25 of the best records ever.  The records I'm especially high here that show up in the top 25 whereas they normally wouldn't be are The Velvet Underground, Low, and Physical Graffiti.  I perhaps have underrated Revolver, Blood on the Tracks and Marquee Moon, but I am rather satisfied with the list at the moment.  Do note with some hilarity that no record released after 1988 made this list (and if you discount Daydream Nation, no record was released after the 1970s...)I think it quite clearly indicates a trend that "old school" is "good school"...if I were to use the vernacular.

Next up will likely be looking at culture appropriation in rock music.  That is likely to say, the entire history of rock music, since much of it has just been stealing culture unique to sections of society and incorporating it into the general framework of rock music.

No comments:

Post a Comment