Monday, June 22, 2009

Dirty Projectors -- 2009.06.21 Wexner Center for the Arts, Columbus, OH



Dirty Projectors
2009.06.21
Wexner Center for the Arts
Columbus, Ohio

Setlist--
1. Two Doves
2. Cannibal Resource
3. Remade Horizon
4. Useful Chamber
5. Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie
6. Thirsty and Miserable
7. Rise Above
8. Stillness is the Move
9. No Intention
10. Temecula Sunrise

Encore:
11. Fluorescent Half-Dome
12. Knotty Pine

To be really honest, I didn't like the opener, Skeletons. For me, there is a clear difference between having music being "weird" because it is and having music that is trying to be "weird." To me, it's a problem that plagues a lot of bands, and one many don't shake off very easily. Prime examples are the Flaming Lips shedding off the "weird to be weird" with
the Soft Bulletin, Animal Collective with Merriweather Post Pavilion and, coincidentally, Dirty Projectors with Bitte Orca, so perhaps that's something they can work towards.

I am unsure about no.s 5 and 6, it was just the four "core" members: Dave Longstreth, Angel Derdoorian, Amber Coffman, and the drummer, whose name I don't really know. From what I could glance from the setlists people instantly started grabbing the entry was "Gimme/Thirst," so those two are my best guesses as to the tracks played. It was a great show, if rather short, but that was sort of expected. Despite a fairly deep catalog it seems that with their recent success and countless lineup changes means that they can't dig into the back of their catalog (of which I have never heard, really). I only came in knowing the
Bitte Orca tracks, Rise Above and Knotty Pine, which apparently was enough to know most of what was going on. So all in all, a great show. There were some funny moments, like when they talked about their van breaking down in St. Clairesville. It's on the border of Ohio of West Virginia, pretty much, and I was just there like a weekend ago so I knew what they were talking about. Pretty good. So if you like them, I would highly suggest catching them at some point soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment